New Patient Information
We are pleased to welcome you to the Niagara Dermatology Centre. Our friendly and professional staff looks forward to making your first visit to the Niagara Dermatology Centre a positive experience. We know you will enjoy the modern design of the office as well as the clean and comfortable examination rooms. Dr. Kevin Sloan and the staff of Niagara Dermatology Centre are committed to serving the Niagara Community. Whether you are coming for a medical issue or cosmetic concern, our goal is to provide excellent dermatological care in a pleasant, professional and efficient manner.
At the Niagara Dermatology Centre, Dr. Kevin Sloan is pleased to provide treatment of medical dermatology conditions as well as addressing cosmetic concerns. There are a variety of appearance-enhancing services offered at the centre including:
Chemical peels, Botox injections, Restylane or Perlane fillers, IPL Laser for treatment of broken blood vessels, rosacea and photodamage / photoaging, as well as removal of cosmetic moles, warts, skin tags and other unwanted growths.
For additional information on any of these services, please refer to our Services page. Written information is also available in the office and of course any member of the staff or Dr. Sloan will be happy to answer your questions.
We hope you will find the following information useful in preparing for your first visit to the Niagara Dermatology Centre:
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment in order to fill out the patient questionnaire. You will be asked about your medical history and current medications (please have a written list prepared if you cannot remember all your medications). Dr. Sloan knows that everyone’s time is valuable and our efficient staff make every effort to ensure that patients are seen in a timely manner. Of course, the nature of a busy medical practice makes it impossible to guarantee that you will be seen on time but patients are often pleasantly surprised at how often they are seen promptly and often ahead of schedule.
- Please remember to bring your OHIP card to this appointment. We ask that you bring your OHIP card to every appointment and let us know if there have been any changes (eg. a new OHIP card).
- In order to achieve an efficient patient flow where people are seen on time, the staff is diligent about not over-booking (ie. there will not be 3 or 4 patients scheduled for the same time slot). For this reason we require 24 hours of notice for cancellation of an appointment or a fee of $50.00 will be charged.
- The Niagara Dermatology Centre at 532 Lake Street is conveniently located at the corner of Lake Street and Linwell Street in St. Catharines, ON. For detailed directions, please contact us.
- During the winter months when boots and shoes can become very dirty, patients will be asked to remove outer footwear before entering the examination rooms. This is necessary to ensure a clean and sterile environment in the exam rooms as Dr. Sloan performs a number of surgical procedures. Patients are welcome to bring another pair of indoor shoes to be worn in the examination room.
- If you have been referred for assessment of a mole, Dr. Sloan will do a complete mole examination. Regardless of the location of your mole, you will be asked to disrobe and be given a gown to wear, after which Dr. Sloan will do a visual examination of your entire skin as part of the mole check. This is to ensure that there is nothing growing on areas of skin that you are not able to see.
- At the completion of your appointment, Dr. Sloan will give you a green slip of paper. Please give this paper to the Medical Receptionist (Lynne) and she will advise you about your next appointment.
- You were likely given a telephone message reminding you about your first appointment. Please be advised that the Medical Assistant (Valerie) will not be calling to remind you of future appointments. The Medical Receptionist (Lynne) will provide you with a written appointment card at the end of your appointment.
- Please feel free to ask any of the staff (Valerie, Lynne or Dr. Sloan) about any of the services offered at the Niagara Dermatology Centre. We would also welcome any feedback regarding your experience at the centre—what you found most useful or ways we can improve our service. If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the office.